Lil Travel Folks is supported by its readers. If you purchase through a link on my site, I may earn a commission. Learn more
If you’re looking for an outdoor activity that offers a little bit of everything, horseback riding near Chattanooga TN is a great option. You can explore the trails at your own pace, or take a guided tour with someone who knows the area well.
And if you’re new to horseback riding, don’t worry – there are plenty of places in the Chattanooga area where you can rent horses and get instruction on how to ride them. So what are you waiting for? Grab your cowboy hat and boots and hit the trail!
Options for horseback riding near Chattanooga TN
Bring Your Own Horse (BYOH)
If you own your own horse, there are plenty of trails in the area that you can explore. Some of the popular ones include the Cumberland Trail, Chickamauga Battlefield, and the Ocoee River.
There are also several companies that offer guided tours if you don’t feel comfortable venturing out on your own. They’ll take care of all the planning and logistics, so you can just sit back and enjoy the ride.
If you prefer to go out on your own:
- Prentice Cooper state forest is only a few minutes from downtown Chattanooga.
- Chickamauga Battlefield
- Chattanooga National Military Park
- Cloudland Canyon
- Fort Mountain State park in north Georgia
- Cherokee National Forest
- If you don’t mind driving a little farther, Fall Creek Falls Riding Stables has both guided trail rides and trails for those who own horses. They even have overnight boarding.
Horseback Riding Experiences (Renting a Horse)
If you don’t have your own horse, don’t worry – there are plenty of places where you can rent one. And if you’re new to horseback riding, most rental companies will give you a quick lesson on how to ride before you head out on the trail.
Here are a few places with horse rentals near Chattanooga for your horseback riding adventure:
- Blanche Manor – they have a variety of guided trail rides from beginner to advanced and also offer proposal packages, pony rides and wagon rides. We love the “Triple Fun” package that includes rafting, ziplining and horseback riding.
- Tennessee Dude and Guest Ranch – They offer a dude ranch vacation, farm stay experience and also have a ranch and ride day program where you can choose from either a four hour or six hour experience. You can also send your child (ages 8-15) to National Horse Camp during the summer.
- Hidden Hills – Hidden Hills farm is a family farm that offers guided trail rides, horse boarding and overnighting, birthday parties and horse shows and events. Trail rides are by appointment only, and you have to be at least 10 years old to ride.
- Ocoee Horse Rides – this is a privately owned ranch that offers guided horseback trail rides in the Chattahoochee and Cherokee National Forests.
- Trails End Ranch – this property borders the Chickamauga Battlefield and Chattanooga National Military Park, which we mentioned above for private riders. They offer rides for all ages and also riding lessons, boarding, summer camps, and birthday parties.
- Fall Creek Falls Riding Stables – we mentioned them above because you can also bring your own horse, but this stable offers rides for 3 years and up. They also have a petting zoo area, offer birthday parties and you can even have a barn wedding there.
How to Choose the Right Horseback Riding Experience for You
Now that you know all the different options for horseback riding near Chattanooga TN, how do you choose the right one for you? Here are a few things to consider:
What is your skill level? If you’re a beginner, it’s probably best to start with a guided tour or an experience where they rent horses.
How many people are going? If you’re going with a group, most places will have a minimum of 4 or 6 people. Check with the individial stable for group rates.
What is your budget? Horseback riding can be pretty affordable, but if you’re renting horses it will obviously be more expensive than bringing your own.
What’s the weather like? If it’s been raining a lot, the trails will be muddy and slippery so it’s best to wait until they dry out.
What to wear when horseback riding
For those of you who are newer to riding, you might be wondering what to wear. Here are a few tips:
- Wear comfortable clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Avoid loose fitting clothing or anything that might get caught on the saddle or horse.
- Wear closed toed shoes with a heel – NO FLIP FLOPS!
- If you have long hair, tie it back so it doesn’t get tangled.
Other Tips for Horseback Riding
Here are a few other things to keep in mind when horseback riding:
Horseback riding is a physical activity, so be sure to drink plenty of water before and after your ride.
If you’re renting a horse, be sure to listen to the instructions from your guide or rental company.
Be aware of your surroundings and don’t startle the horse by walking up behind them or making sudden movements.
Have fun and enjoy the experience! Horseback riding is a great way to see beautiful scenery and spend time with friends or family.
Final Thoughts on Horseback Riding Near Chattanooga TN
Now that you know all about horseback riding near Chattanooga TN, it’s time to get out there and explore! Whether you bring your own horse or rent one, there are plenty of options for trail riding in the area. Be sure to dress appropriately, listen to instructions, and most importantly, have fun!